Facts About Male Breast ReductionWednesday, November 26th, 2014, 5:12 pm
Gynecomastia is a condition that results in an excessive growth of breast tissue in men. It leads to over-developed, enlarged breasts which is not only embarrassing, but can impact self-confidence and lead to avoiding certain activities. This condition can occur for a number of reasons including hormonal changes, heredity, obesity, and the use of certain drugs.
Although every case of gynecomastia is different, there are treatment options, including male breast surgery. To understand more about this procedure, here are some facts to know about male breast reduction surgery.
- The male breast reduction procedure removes breast tissue and fat, reducing the size of the breast and flattening the chest. It can also enhance the contours of the chest and pectoral area, giving a refined, firm look.
- Depending on the pre-surgery shape and size of the breast, the position and size of the areola (the dark skin around the nipple) may be reduced to create an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- The procedure is typically outpatient and consists of liposuction, excision, or a combination of the two.
- Although there is minimal scarring, the incisions are placed in the natural contours of the body, making them less noticeable.
- In adolescents, male breast surgery can be successful, but may need to be done again once the child reaches adulthood.
- To be a candidate for male breast surgery, breast development needs to have stabilized and the patient needs to be physically healthy and of normal weight.
- The patient must be a non-smoker and drug free. He needs to have a positive outlook on life and the surgical procedure, and have specific goals concerning his health and weight loss.
Interested in Plastic Surgery for Men? Contact KCNY Plastic Surgery Today.
For more information about male breast reduction, contact KCNY Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in Manhattan. Please give us a call at 212-355-5779. Drs. Choi and Karp look forward to meeting you.
Category: Male Breast Reduction